Goal amount for this month: 75 USD, Received: 4.50 USD (6%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 
Help keep our website online! All contributions go directly into Server/Hosting costs or to keep the website upgraded!
We reached our June goal, making the site Ad Free for anyone registered until the end of July! Feel free to contribute to push that back until the end of August!

• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
      ShottyMonster is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Modding collab's for Torchlight 2

Hi all,

I am planning to change career soon, going to university next summer to study games design. This is after a 4 year stint as a mechanical engineer in the UK. Finally got fed up with it!

Anyhow, I need to knuckle down on some serious art skills as it has been a few years since I did any serious painting/drawing. I really would like to get my 3DS-MAX skills up to scratch so I'm offering to do some character modelling/texturing work for any modders out there. Bear in mind my skillset with max is pretty limited until I start to get to grips with it, although I have 4 years experience using various CAD packages so fingers crossed.

If anyone needs any sketches/concept art producing for 3d models then I would love to help, my drawing skills are pretty decent as I went to a lot of life drawing classes back when I studied fine art.

Also I wouldn't mind getting stuck in on some scripting, I have only really used Python before but am willing to get up to speed on C#/C++, so once again if anyone needs help with scripting for mods please pm me :-)

I know this is very premature as no mod tools have been released yet, but I just thought I'd get my name out there, also if anyone is able to give me some tips via webcam that would be great, this could coincide with some collab work.

Cheers,

Thomas

P.s. I know this post probably sounds wierd but I am not a regular forum user, I usually come across quite clunky and robotic :P

P.p.s. If you want some examples of oil paintings, sketches, character designs I have done in the past then just pm me :-)

akindain is offline Senior Member
      Learning as much as I can to
      make Mods

I am:
      Godly

Re: Modding collab's for Torchlight 2

glad to see you putting your name out there, but as far as i know the scripting isn't the same like other games i have modded basicly its drag and drop items into a window and link them together using predetermined variables, now when i modded fallout new vages and skyrim those uses more of the c programming u have some experience with. now dont get me wrong and i may be mistaken but programming like that would be good for making things like what they did with torchcam.

but i have a few ides i want to get into tl 1 and i do have plans to move my mod over to tl 2 so may need some help when that time comes for new class models.

Best of luck in your projects and welcome to RGF

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by akindain View Post
      glad to see you putting your name out there, but as far as i know the scripting isn't the same like other games i have modded basicly its drag and drop items into a window and link them together using predetermined variables, now when i modded fallout new vages and skyrim those uses more of the c programming u have some experience with. now dont get me wrong and i may be mistaken but programming like that would be good for making things like what they did with torchcam.

but i have a few ides i want to get into tl 1 and i do have plans to move my mod over to tl 2 so may need some help when that time comes for new class models.

Best of luck in your projects and welcome to RGF

Thanks for the reply akindain :-), please do get in touch with me if you need any help making models. I must of worded my original post badly, I didn't mean to say I have any experience with C#/C++, rather I have none (having only dabbled in python before), however I would like to increase my knowledge of C#/C++ as I am aware that most commercial games use this as the base language to code their engines in. I thought Runic used Ogre (which is a C based graphics engine if I'm not mistaken?), I had assumed that a lot of the mods for this game would require knowledge of C and the Ogre library but thanks for clearing that up for me :-).

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Here's my deviant art page, pretty much shows my skill level with 3ds max at the moment, will be starting nightclasses soon.

ShottyMonster on deviantART

Ehb is offline Member
      Initializing
      Core..........................

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ShottyMonster View Post
      I had assumed that a lot of the mods for this game would require knowledge of C and the Ogre library but thanks for clearing that up for me :-).
      That's the beauty of Torchlight modding! If you can develop a very loose understanding of variables or if/then statements you'll find that Torchlight's modding tools are second to none. The true power of TorchED is in the logic groups, and you can make some really amazing things happen with this engine. The logic groups, basically, are a window in which you can connect your events, variables, etc. with a GUI. It is very intuitive and I was just blown away by the amount of possibilities with the first version of the editor.

Anyways man, as for the modeling, now that's a very specific skillset that you seem to be practicing properly now through school. I'll tell ya, that's a very useful skill in and of itself if you really want to add assets to the game. I have some projects planned which will be likely calling for animation, if you're around when the toolset hits I would love to have some help this go 'round

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ehb View Post
      That's the beauty of Torchlight modding! If you can develop a very loose understanding of variables or if/then statements you'll find that Torchlight's modding tools are second to none. The true power of TorchED is in the logic groups, and you can make some really amazing things happen with this engine. The logic groups, basically, are a window in which you can connect your events, variables, etc. with a GUI. It is very intuitive and I was just blown away by the amount of possibilities with the first version of the editor.

Anyways man, as for the modeling, now that's a very specific skillset that you seem to be practicing properly now through school. I'll tell ya, that's a very useful skill in and of itself if you really want to add assets to the game. I have some projects planned which will be likely calling for animation, if you're around when the toolset hits I would love to have some help this go 'round
      For sure EHB, you just let me know what you need doing and I'll see what I can get together.

So do you have much programming experience? I am looking to learn C++ but have no idea where to start. I already understand the very basics of programming (if/then, while, for, variables, integers, floating integers, lists, tuples and data structures).

However I do not know how to bring these basic 'tools' together to make a program other than a simple calculator or text based game. I have learnt all this in python as well, I can't find a simple IDE for C++, I found visual studio to be massively complicated as all I want to do to start with is learn the language, I was getting bogged down even trying to create a piece of code which would open a command console.

Anyway I am massively interested in doing some modelling/animation for you however I have no animation experience. I will figure out the rigging and animation basics within the next month or 2. Just let me know what you are planning mate :-)

Ehb is offline Member
      Initializing
      Core..........................

I am:
      Awesome

As for coding experience, yours sounds close to my own Shotty. I learned basic syntax with internet languages as the internet arose (think HTML, java, Flash, web design and development). As for the C languages, I haven't studied them, although I have heard java can be a good primer. As tedious as it may sound, if you aren't currently in any classes for the language I would honestly recommend buying a book on the specific language you want to learn. Or if you don't want to buy one, some free time in a bookstore with a laptop for notes

As for Torchlight modding specifically, the beauty of the editor provided is that with general programming understanding you can use the toolset provided to do pretty much anything within Torchlight games only. That would be the kicker, that the toolset is of course just for this game engine. Outside of Torchlight modding, it's just like playing guitar man: There are simply hours that you have to put in. Instead of hours on scales and chords, though, it's hours on learning and stretching the boundaries of your mind to swallow the concepts presented.

As for what I am planning, why a sequel to my Emberfiend crafting mod of course! For a budding modeler, learning and practicing animation, the project would likely be something you would enjoy my friend. The animations wouldn't be anything over the top, just taking the existing character models into MAX and making an animation for something like swinging a pickaxe downwards. The journey would really be just learning how to import the stuff into MAX, complete with rigging, animate it and save animation files, and then get that exported so that those animation files can be used within Torchlight's game engine. It's been years (literally, since 2003-04) since I've done anything like that but it usually requires the use of certain plugins for MAX to do the exporting.

Since we still a couple months out for the release (approx.) you are in good shape man. Keep learning on rigging and animations, and I don't think you'll find it that difficult. Cheers! I'll be around on the boards here and the closer we get to the release of TL 2, the more excited I get around modding it. Keep in tough via PM etc. and we'll have a good time with it! And of course, I'll be PLAYING the game a lot at first to let the atmosphere sink in

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Sound as a pound, can't wait for release! The project sounds cool, I'll check ot your Emberfiend crafting mod tommorow to get a feel for it. With regards to the coding I knew it was going to be along the lines of practice practice practice. Just like art then which I don't practice nearly enough. I'll stay in touch and hopefully we can join the same server for some kicks and giggles.

Thread Footer